Sunday, September 29, 2013

Marina and the Diamonds

This stumble upon happened while watching an Ellie Goulding music video and this was a suggestion at the end of it.

The first suggestion was for a song called "Lies" by Marina and the Diamonds. I will gladly admit that I'm not as well cultured in music from other countries as I should be, so if I'm a little late to the party on this song, you'll have to forgive me.

After doing a little research, Marina Lambrini Diamandis is a Welsh singer who came second on the BBC Sounds of 2010 poll list to none other than Ellie Goulding. So this girl definitely has some talent.

"Lies" immediately captured my attention by the extremely powerful lyrics and striking music video. Much like Lorde's "Royals", Marina just stares straight at the camera and sings. To me, nothing is more compelling than a singer who doesn't need all of the extra garbage in their video and just puts their music out there.


After scrolling through the comments, people were suggesting that you check out the acoustic version too. I have to say, they're right. The song is even better acoustic.


If you are looking for something a little less depressing and faster paced, she has that too. Check out "Electra Heart". It's still about heartbreak, but the beat is sick!

Oh yea, and there's also a guy in a fox mask in it, which automatically makes me happy because it makes me think of Ylvis.


If you've noticed in the title of all of the songs, they say "Part ##". If you watch all of her videos in order, they tell an amazing story. This concept is currently being done by Fall Out Boy as well. Perhaps it's going to become a new trend?

Not only these two songs (three if you count the acoustic version), but her entire album is worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment