Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pentatonix

So...it's been awhile. New jobs (yes with an "s"), a new address, a car accident (everyone's fine), a new car...needless to say 2014 has been a WILD ride, but it's been a great one so far.

With the new year has come new music and this cover has to be my favorite so far! Unless you've been living under a rock, you probably know "Say Something" by A Great Big World feat. Christina Aguilera. And if you're like me, you still get a tear in your eye every time you hear the intro start playing on the radio.

Over the past few months, I've found that the song means something different to everyone. The original video has an older couple saying goodbye as the woman takes her last breath. It has also ended countless relationships with it's pure, raw emotion, and it has even been a song of strength when it comes to moving on. I think the countless meanings to the lyrics makes the song that much more relatable to every listener.

Thanks to the power of YouTube, many covers of the original song have been created, but my personal favorite is by Pentatonix. The setting is minimal and the white backdrop reinforces the seriousness of the message. Say something. I'm giving up on you.

In addition to the black and white setting, the harmonies are equally as chilling. The blend of their voices makes their sound so much bigger and the lyrics even more powerful. Also, each singer is staring down the camera for the entirety of the song, which makes it that much more emotional.

I can't lie, the first time I saw this video, I sobbed. At work. At my desk. Just sobbing. It's that good!

And can we just talk about the cello-boxing for just two seconds? A-MAY-ZING. Absolutely amazing.

Give Pentatonix's cover of "Say Something" a listen and then definitely check out more of their music because they are worth a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment